The Promotion Management corner in the SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform CMC is still a bit of a strange place for us coming from the SAP BW world. I really like the fact that you can use a single promotion job to promote a report again and again after each change. In SAP BW that would require a new transport every time. But, something as the Overrides Settings is still a difficult to get through and set up. The official admin guide for the BI4 platform mentions it briefly, but does not explain it good enough.
Until we had this configured we had to manually reconnect each SAP BW BEx Query in a promoted Webi report. I wrote about this annoying situation before.
With an override setting on an OLAP Connection to a SAP BW system, we can make the connection change (or better: override) its settings when promoted, so it connects to the right source system. Say we have two SAP BusinessObjects Platforms (BOTest and BOProd) and two SAP BW systems (BWTest and BWProd). We want the OLAP Connection on the BOTest environment to connect with the BWTest system. The connection on the BOProd environment should connect to the BWProd system. So if we promote a Webi document that uses this OLAP Connection from BOTest to BOProd, the Webi should load data from BWProd after refreshing it on the BOProd environment.
Now, how can we set up this override thing?
1. Log in to the CMC of the SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform that acts as the ‘source’ (where you want to promote from).
3. Go to Promotion Management.
4. Go to Settings | Manage Systems. Make sure the right system is tagged as Origin. If not, select the system and click the Origin button to change this. Click Close.
5. Go to Override Settings. Log off from the current system and login to the Origin system.
6. Select Scan | Start to scan the system for connection overrides.
8. Select the connection and click Promote Overrides.
9. Log in to the destination system and click Promote.
10. Now back in the Overrides window log off from the origin system and login to the destination system. As you will see the override you just promoted is available here. Make sure its status is set to Active.
11. Select the connection and click the Edit button.
12. Here you should enter the connection details for the production SAP BW system. Click DONE and Save to finish.
13. Now you can test the setup by creating a promotion job with the OLAP Connection and a Webi report that uses this connection. After promotion the Webi should grab its data from the SAP BW production system.
By the way after promoting the connection once you don’t have to add it again in other promotion jobs.